The holidays are a beautiful time, each holiday of the year. However, the holidays of November and December bring forth a certain stress that is not so apparent at other times of the year. Is it really about the season or is it about our culture placing odd pressures upon us by creating a storybook set of expectations that seem impossible to live up to?
There is good reason to think it is a combination of everything. Of course we have impossible ideals — or do we? Perhaps we need to sit for a moment, just a moment, and remember what is actually important.
1. On the next exhale, let go of whatever negative feelings you have about your self image, be happy that you are alive;
2. genuinely embrace the reality that you have a life worth living
3. believe that your loved ones are people who are simply human beings with all the good and bad we each own as ours;
4. accept the idea that there is no evil or harm that comes from kindness you extend to another regardless of their response;
5. remember that asking another about their life opens a door to dialogue with opportunity to offer praise and acceptance.